Feb 22, 2011

What Makes an Object Queer?

From February 7th to 14th, I was an artist-in-residence at Spark Box Studio in Picton, Ontario. I am very grateful to have received an Emerging Artist Award from Spark Box in order to do this silkscreened book project. Many thanks to Chrissy Poitras and Kyle Topping who run this wonderful place!





the house I stayed in



the building the print studio is in



my studio space for the week



prints in progress





...and the finished books!



hand-stitched bindings







As a queer artist whose work usually exists somewhere between abstraction and representation, I've started to wonder what makes an object queer. Is an object queer when it's not quite one thing or another? Can art that does not explicitly address queer topics reflect the identity of its maker in other ways? Inspired by Sara Ahmed's Queer Phenomenology, this limited-edition silkscreened book proposes some criteria for queer objects, accompanied by illustrations that are reminiscent of my sculptural work.

My friend, and brilliant artist, Anthea Black, has said this about the book: "What Makes an Object Queer? is a gorgeous and thoughtful book. Its cleverness comes in the fact that amidst Jamie Q's playful drawings we find powerful queer thinking."