Jun 14, 2011

Gaybomb explodes!

In San Francisco, June 2nd, curator Caitlin Sweet smashed my Gaybomb Piñata at the opening of Dirtstar 2011: Take Root. My Gaybombs reclaim the idea of a chemical weapon intended to cause homosexual behavior, proposed in 1994 by the U.S. Air Force Wright Laboratory. The piñata is full of silicone toys and safer-sex goodies donated by Babeland, Vixen, and Come As You Are, and all the Gaybombs are covered in glitter donated by Lit Cosmetics.

The show closes June 19th with a night of performances and installations from 5-7pm. Take Root is part of the National Queer Arts Festival which has a ton of amazing events happening, details via the Queer Cultural Center.



I am very grateful for the support of the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario. I received funding from their Exhibition Assistance Program, which helped make my participation in this exhibition possible.